UPDATE: July 27: Listen to the recorded audio interview with Sara from Stop the Madrassa, Colmes and Ibish – h/t dkshideler
Sara will be on Alan Colmes’ radio show around 10-10:30 tonight -EST– just Sara, Colmes and Ibish from last night. You can hear it online at http://www.foxnews.com/radio/alancolmes/index.html
The Call-in number: 1-877-367-2526.This school opens in September!
- WHEN will our questions regarding faculty and curricula be addressed?
- Has anyone who reads Arabic seen the textbooks that will be used?
- Will certified teachers who are Coptic Christian Arabs, Sephardic Jews, and Christian Arabs be recruited? Or just Muslims
- Which Arabic history of the Middle East will be taught? The Islamic? The Christian? The Jewish?
- Who will teach American and European History, Math, English?
- Will KGIA meet the N.Y. State guidelines for a NYC Public school?
- Will students be taught be in English?
- How can a new school open when the proper forms and deadlines have NOT been met?
- How will the prayer requests of KGIA’s Muslim students be accommodated in a public school?
- What will be the reaction to someone eating a pork or ham sandwich if they are in proximity of one of KGIA’s students?
- Will Halal food be served in the cafeteria?
- Will KGIA’s students be part of the general school population or sequestered and separated?
- Will there be concessions made to accommodate the “modesty” requirements of Muslim students?
- How will wudu, or the process of ritual washing – which must precede prayer – take place? In the public lavatories?
- What will happen if someone says “Osama” within earshot of a KGIA student? Are KGIA and
the NYC Department of Education prepared to defend themselves against such lawsuits from CAIR
and deal with the resultant bad publicity?
- Has anyone seen the lesson plans?
- Is the Principal certified according to specific N.Y. State qualifications?
These are only some of the legitimate questions and concerns that NYC parents and taxpayers haveregarding KGIA. Why has the New York City Department of Education not offered Arabic as a language block throughout the NY Public School system? Our coalition acknowledges the need for more Arabic speakers, but why create a whole school to teach one language? Why encourage the isolation and nonassimilation of Arabic speaking students by creating a school within a school, with a focus on an Arabic viewpoint for teaching world history? Principal Dhabah Almontaser has been quoted as saying the Arabic classes will not even be offered during school hours and will be taught from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m, so the Islamic culture and history components will be the daily emphasis.
The Stop the Madrassa Community Coalition remains at the center of this fight for integrity in our public schools.