Many questions regarding the Khalil Gibran International Academy, opening September, 2007, in Brooklyn, New York have not been answered by the NYC Department of Education. Innumerable letters, e-mails, and phone calls to Chancellor Joel Klein have been ignored.
I was present at the last PTA meeting of the year, June 20th. I brought up several points for consideration to the parents and Garth Harries, Chief Porfolio Officer and lead person in charge of New Schools.
- The Iraqi GI’s e-mail letter read by Principal designate Dhabah Almontasser at a previous PTA meeting [http://tinyurl.com/34vwuu] was proven to be a fraud. http://www.militantislammonitor.org/article/id/2941
- Dhabah Almontasser has received an award from C.A.I.R. http://www.pipelinenews.org/index.cfm?page=jihadschool41207%2Ehtm
- C.A.I.R. has recently been named an unindicted co-conspirator in the Holy Land Foundation, a defunct charity associated with Hamas. The trial is scheduled for next month. http://www.nysun.com/article/55778
- San Diego has attempted this same experiment with an Arabic Cultural Public School which now follows Sharia law, and still remains a public school. Boys and girls are separated, there is Muslim prayer during classes, and Halal food is served in the cafeteria.
- Garth Harries repeatedly stated that there would be accountability and the school will be monitored. I asked “Who in the D.O.E. speaks Arabic and how will you arrange to have someone sitting in the classrooms to hear what they are teaching? I don’t see how that’s possible. And also, where are the textbooks? Don’t you all think we should see them? I’d like to get copies of all the textbooks used.” Garth Harries responded, but not one concern was addressed. He quickly ended the meeting. I spoke with him afterwards. The concern I raised was the school’s Islamist curriculum which includes lessons on Jihad. Harries stated that there was not any mention of Jihad in the curriculum.
To see a sample of the curriculum to be taught in a Public School link to http://www.militantislammonitor.org/article/id/2755 and scroll down to “Hirabah, not Jihad”.
The curriculum was developed by Susan L. Douglas and Nadia Pervez.
“A top textbook consultant shaping classroom education on Islam in American public schools recently worked for a school funded and controlled by the Saudi government, which propagates a rigidly anti-Western strain of Islam, a WorldNetDaily investigation reveals.
The consultant, Susan L. Douglass, has also praised Pakistan’s madrassa schools as “proud symbols of learning,” even after the U.S. government blamed them for fueling the rise of the Taliban and al-Qaida.
Douglass, routinely described as a “scholar” or “historian,” has edited manuscripts of world history textbooks used by middle and high school students across the country. She’s also advised state education boards on curriculum standards dealing with world religion, and has helped train thousands of public school teachers on Islamic instruction.
In effect, she is responsible for teaching millions of American children about Islam, experts say, while operating in relative obscurity. http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38304
And if you expect the A.C.L.U. to step in to dispute this violation of the separation of church and state read: http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38345
For a preview of what we can expect students to be learning at the Khalil Gibran International Academy see http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=26074